LTC Course Information
Thank you for inquiring about or seeking additional information about the Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) class. Please read about the Texas mandated LTC class curriculum. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have additional questions.
This class provides the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) required classroom training and firearm qualification students need in order to obtain a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC).
To train and qualify a student to submit application to the Texas Handgun Licensing Program. Upon completion, students will have the following materials required to submit their application:
- Instructor certification for completed classroom curriculum.
- Instructor certification for completed handgun qualification test.
THIS COURSE IS NOT A BASIC HANDGUN INSTRUCTION CLASS – THAT IS AVAILABLE AS A SEPARATE CLASS (click)
Warren Beard is a Texas Department of Public Safety Certified LTC instructor and has many years of experience training others in the proper safety and use of firearms. He is an NRA Instructor as well as a Texas Parks and Wildlife Hunter Education Instructor. He is an active Texas Handgun Association member. The professionally developed LTC curriculum uses multiple training techniques and aides in order to help students learn the material and retain the content.
- Basic proficiency with a handgun
LTC classes are not intended to train students how to shoot a handgun. The qualification test portion of the course is required by the State of Texas in order to demonstrate your ability to safely and properly handle and shoot a handgun.
If you need training in safe handling and operation of a handgun, please see the page on NRA Basic Pistol instruction.
- 4 to 6 hours of combined classroom instruction and handgun qualification testing.
- Classes in D’Hanis are at our private residence, but can be offered at other locations.
- The Rocking B Arms LTC class is MOBILE! We offer the convenience of bringing the class to you at your site (ranch, private range, etc.)
- Minimum number of students depends upon travel distance from D’Hanis, TX.
- Site requirements: Safe shooting area with backstop and room for shooters to safely congregate (50 yard min.)
- Seating area for all students to comfortable sit for 4 to 6 hours
Mandatory Range Equipment to Qualify
Come range ready with:
- Semi-automatic handgun or revolver (unloaded and in a box) of any caliber in good repair and have no modifications that will make the handgun less safe. STUDENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING WEAPON or AMMUNITION into the CLASSROOM. LEAVE IN YOUR VEHICLE. (available to rent)
- Baseball cap or hat.
- Safety glasses (available to borrow)
- Ear protection that covers your ears (available to borrow)
- Footwear that entirely covers both feet
- 50 rounds of commercially produced ammunition
- NO RELOADED, HAND LOADED, or SURPLUS AMMUNITION ALLOWED.
- Use commercial ammunition only.
Range Qualification Test Requirements (as mandated by the Texas DPS)
- Total of 50 rounds fired at a B-27 target (45″ high x 24″ wide)
- Score of 175 out of 250 possible points (70 percentile) required to pass
- Shooting stance from the ready position where firearm is already in a position to fire
|3 Yard Line – 20 Rounds|
|1 round in 2 seconds, 5 times (5 rounds total)2 rounds in 3 seconds, 5 times (10 rounds total)5 rounds in 10 seconds, 1 time (5 rounds total)|
|7 Yard Line – 20 Rounds|
|5 rounds in 10 seconds, 1 time (5 rounds total)2 rounds in 4 seconds, 1 time (2 rounds total)3 rounds in 6 seconds, 1 time (3 rounds total)1 round in 3 seconds, 5 times (5 rounds total)5 rounds in 15 seconds, 1 time (5 rounds total)|
|15 Yard Line – 10 Rounds|
|2rounds in 6 seconds, 1 time (2 rounds total)3rounds in 9 seconds, 1 time (3 rounds total)5rounds in 15 seconds, 1 time (5 rounds total)|
Submit application to the Texas Department of Public Safety’s Handgun Licensing Program.
- Texas DPS online LTC Application
*Source: A complete list of certified instructors may be accessed on the Texas Department of Public Safety’s Handgun Licensing Division website.